Thursday, November 19, 2015

Amanda

I was lying in bed thinking of my mom the other day as we watched a new show on TV. The episode was titled OLD PEOPLE and it was about how we treat our parents as they get older. After watching it, I felt guilty like I need to spend more time with my mom. I have so many memories of my mother from when we were growing up and thinking about them now just makes me laugh, but back then, she totally made me crazy! I remember my mom took some time off after her mother died and I was home with her one day. I must have been about 9 and I was being an extreme little maniac. My mom gave me plenty of warnings that I ignored. She disappeared into her room and emerged with my dads five inch thick leather belt. She had it in for me and she was going to beat my butt! The funny thing is she couldn't catch me, although she tried. I darted in and around and over and under the furniture. Finally in her frustrated state she stopped and she was about to give up until she saw Amanda. Amanda was this little blonde haired white doll that I carried everywhere. I thought it was funny because my mom was always trying to make us declare we were white (we were also half Mexican) but we never would say that we were white. We would say We are Mexican and it would drive my little Caucasian mother crazy! Back to the story... So there was Amanda just laying on the coffee table and my mom took one look at her and one look at me and she started beating Amanda! I started screaming "You're killing my baby!" and she smiled kind of wickedly and kept on. I remember Amanda had those creepy dolls eyes that would close when she was laying down and open when she was sitting up and I remember her little eyes opening and closing as she was being plopped all around the coffee table with a belt. I really got lucky that day. Who could blame her for smacking the crap out of my doll...better her than me! I understood when I got older I mean her mom had just passed away and she was filled with grief on top of having a daughter who was a maniac! Lots of stories about my mother. She is quirky and does things we don't understand. She thinks Bakers egg and cheese burritos are the best thing ever. She thinks all that you can do on a smartphone is cool. She asks us to make copies of the CD we play as she rides in my car (it's music on my Bluetooth. She carries certificates of authenticity for her jewelry in her purse (just for shits and giggles I guess. She puts our names on her things with post its so we know who gets it when she is no longer here. She tells us how her AOL account is acting up (YES! They do still have AOL in case you didn't know-I know I didn't know that! She once made a turkey and a chocolate cake just for dinner for her and her hubby. Lots of memories of my mom. There was a time I never knew if I would see her again when she lived in Texas, but sad circumstances brought her back and now she is here just 15 minutes away. My mom might drive me crazy but looking back at my Amanda story, I know she put up with me when I drove her crazy.

1 comment:

  1. My mom been gone for 6 years, enjoy your mom even if she does drive you nuts. Take pictures with her and your kids, Ask her about growing up, about her family and siblings. On the doll front, I always give my nieces and nephews brown babies. No Caucasian barbies, how funny that you associated more closely with your brown side. Miss you bunches, hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete